Poplar Studio Upcoming Events

Thursday, June 14, 2012

ROBAPO

(robots battling planned obsolescence) 

Clay robots have been marching about in my mind for many years now.  I see them as a natural progression from Fantastic Service and the rocketship series.  With encouragement from friends I realized it was time to get them out of my head and into reality. The idea here is to tell the stories of brave robots that have desperately attempted to stay relevant in our world of almost instantly obsolete technology by scavenging parts drilling new ports and hoarding potentially use full bits.
This post is little glimpse into the production of the first 2 characters off my small assembly line. 
All parts are thrown with a grogged cone 6 B-mix.  The main head shape was a large closed off form cut in half.
Silent but extremely observant.
Making the holes and ports with 10 to 15 % shrinkage in mind was a bit of a challenge.
Thinking about what tech elements to add and why has proven to be one of my favorite parts of the process.
Glazed and ready to be fired.
Gluing the bits in place.
Somewhat terrifying rear view.
When I find the right venue for a show I will let you know.  Suggestions welcome.  These two are currently available for purchase at the Kingsmill shop on Granville Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment